Hop til indhold

Need assistance with an old IHC installation in English

JPope

Hello,

I have an old installation at my home in London by a gentleman called Allan Gøndahl, dating from 2004. I need assistance with it (and probably need to replace it one day) and can't find Allan or any support from LK. Can anyone suggest the best way to get some over-the-phone support to help me connect with the system and do some minimal reprogramming? I could also use assistance with a couple of faulty switches.

Any assistance or referral to an English speaking IHC tech would be extremely helpful.

Many thanks!

Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites

18 hours ago, Lars Jacobsen said:

Dont Think anybody Will do that kind of phone support right away, but if you specify What you needs are, we might help here in the Forum.

so describe What you want. Info, and pics of system would also be Nice to have. Then we might be able to guide you.

Thanks Lars for the quick reply. I just want to be clear that I am happy to compensate for direct time/support provided.

I am attaching:

1. Photos of all the IHC 'junction boxes' and examples of the types of switches we have.

2. A scan of a wiring diagram (not sure it it's absolutely correct -- for example, I'm not aware of any gas-related functionality, but looks largely correct)

3. An HTML copy of the configuration that I believe the house runs on now (these are all files I have from the time we installed the system in 2004). I also have a file called "upload.ihc", about 771 kb in size -- I assume that is the actual configuration file of the current installation (happy to provide that too if helpful).

My needs, in priority order:

1. Would like to be able to safely connect to the system (ideally through USB (my computer doesn't have a serial port, and it looks like the system used to use a serial cable to connect) so that I can have some degree of control over the installation in the event I have issues one day (I already have one light that suddenly won't turn off, but just flickers on a regular rhythm)

2. I would ideally like to reprogram some functions to simplify the current installation (we sometimes rent out the house, and the switches are very confusing to a new resident)

3. I have one 4-button switch that was disconnected by an electrician and replaced with a blank cover (photo attached) because it was malfunctioning. I'd love assistance with reconnecting a new 4-button switch there.

4. If it's possible to upgrade to allow some remote access to the system via WiFi/internet by adding a module, that would be nice to have.

5. Finally, I am concerned that IHC may not be well supported or have a future roadmap. I want to start thinking about the easiest way of replacing it when the time comes with a good system that is widely adopted and likely to continue being supported in the future. It would be helpful to hear the options from someone who's done similar upgrades.

Thanks again for any ideas or comments.

4-Button Switch.jpg

Alarm Keypad.jpg

Blank that replaced a 4-Button Switch.jpg

Ground Floor - Serial cable and connection.jpg

Ground Floor Distrib Panel - Detail 1.jpg

Ground Floor Distrib Panel - Detail 2.jpg

Ground Floor Distrib Panel - Detail 3.jpg

Ground Floor Distrib Panel - General.jpg

Top Floor IHC Distribution Panel - Detail.jpg

Top Floor IHC Distribution Panel - General View.jpg

IHC Settings.pdf IHC WIN report generator.htm

Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites

5 timer siden, JPope skrev:

Thanks Lars for the quick reply. I just want to be clear that I am happy to compensate for direct time/support provided.

I am attaching:

1. Photos of all the IHC 'junction boxes' and examples of the types of switches we have.

2. A scan of a wiring diagram (not sure it it's absolutely correct -- for example, I'm not aware of any gas-related functionality, but looks largely correct)

3. An HTML copy of the configuration that I believe the house runs on now (these are all files I have from the time we installed the system in 2004). I also have a file called "upload.ihc", about 771 kb in size -- I assume that is the actual configuration file of the current installation (happy to provide that too if helpful).

My needs, in priority order:

1. Would like to be able to safely connect to the system (ideally through USB (my computer doesn't have a serial port, and it looks like the system used to use a serial cable to connect) so that I can have some degree of control over the installation in the event I have issues one day (I already have one light that suddenly won't turn off, but just flickers on a regular rhythm)

2. I would ideally like to reprogram some functions to simplify the current installation (we sometimes rent out the house, and the switches are very confusing to a new resident)

3. I have one 4-button switch that was disconnected by an electrician and replaced with a blank cover (photo attached) because it was malfunctioning. I'd love assistance with reconnecting a new 4-button switch there.

4. If it's possible to upgrade to allow some remote access to the system via WiFi/internet by adding a module, that would be nice to have.

5. Finally, I am concerned that IHC may not be well supported or have a future roadmap. I want to start thinking about the easiest way of replacing it when the time comes with a good system that is widely adopted and likely to continue being supported in the future. It would be helpful to hear the options from someone who's done similar upgrades.

Thanks again for any ideas or comments

1) OK you have the old frist generation Visual 1 controller. Only acceptable via the RS232 port. You Can buy a USB adapter and then Connect from PC, but it Can be tricky to get it work, you need the correct driver.

2) OK dokumentation of function of the systems/buttons etc.

3) also OK dokumentation that might help/assist further work or changes to the system.

the .IHC file you Can also attach then we Can se how its programed. You Can download the correct Visual 1 software from www.LK.dk but i think it Will be in danish. Google translate Can help you. You need to create free acount, before acces and download. 

needs

1) of course. Follow the above and you should be able to do so.

2) no worry, when you have acces.

3) if you are a lille handy you Can do that by yourselves, or get an electrician to do so. Any kind of 4 button switch should work. (If the switch is the issue. Could be wirering or the program.

4) not realy, unless you upgrade and replace the controller. The latest version 3 Cost around 5.000 kr (600£) 

you Can go for a used version 2 wich i guess you Can get for 1.000 kr (120£).

5) yes roadmap for system i nonexisting, so dont expect new development in the future on the platform/produkt themselves. Replacemet of the entire system might be costly. But it Can coexist with modern 3.part systems (homeassistant etc) if you have a new ver. 2 or 3 controller. Then it Can be controller from internet,phone app etc.

If you Think upgrading to new version then you cannot reuse old .IHC program, but have to start from scratch on the new v2/3 Way. Here your documentation and old program might be a Big help. But you Can also download the new Visual tool, and prepare everything offline in advance. And when time comes, just swap the controlerrs.

Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites

Thank again Lars. Some more questions, please:

On 8/20/2022 at 3:42 PM, Lars Jacobsen said:

) OK you have the old frist generation Visual 1 controller. Only acceptable via the RS232 port. You Can buy a USB adapter and then Connect from PC, but it Can be tricky to get it work, you need the correct driver.

I ordered an RS232 adapter and it's on the way. Any idea what driver I need and where to download? I am on Windows 10. I will also download the Visual 1 software.

Are there any particular instructions of is it a question of installing the driver, Visual 1, and plugging the RS232 adapter cable into the system? Most importantly, is there any risk of messing things up just doing this (in other words, before I start messing around with the system)?

IHC file attached. Thanks again!

upload.ihc

Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites

4) not realy, unless you upgrade and replace the controller. The latest version 3 Cost around 5.000 kr (600£) 

you Can go for a used version 2 wich i guess you Can get for 1.000 kr (120£).

I will follow up with you on this, after I successfully (I hope) plug in and get my computer connected to the system.

5) yes roadmap for system i nonexisting, so dont expect new development in the future on the platform/produkt themselves. Replacemet of the entire system might be costly. But it Can coexist with modern 3.part systems (homeassistant etc) if you have a new ver. 2 or 3 controller. Then it Can be controller from internet,phone app etc.

Same on this. This sounds interesting and could meet our needs for a while.

Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites

38 minutter siden, JPope skrev:

Thank again Lars. Some more questions, please:

I ordered an RS232 adapter and it's on the way. Any idea what driver I need and where to download? I am on Windows 10. I will also download the Visual 1 software.

Are there any particular instructions of is it a question of installing the driver, Visual 1, and plugging the RS232 adapter cable into the system? Most importantly, is there any risk of messing things up just doing this (in other words, before I start messing around with the system)?

It's been years since I last worked with Visual 1, so my memory might not be 100% correct.

Regarding the driver for the RS232 adapter. Use the one recommended by the adapter. The important part is that i creates a virtual COM: port that you can connect to using the Visual 1 software.

Once you have established connectivity, make a backup of the program in the controller.

While you are waiting for the adapter to arrive, Install the Visual 1 software and load the copy of the program you posted here. Then you can familiarize yourself with the software and program without needing to connect to the controller. As far as I remember, you can also test and simulate the program in the Visual 1 software without connection to the IHC controller. At least you can in Visual 2 and 3.

Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites

2 hours ago, Lars1 said:

Regarding the driver for the RS232 adapter. Use the one recommended by the adapter. The important part is that i creates a virtual COM: port that you can connect to using the Visual 1 software.

I had a Visual 1 controller until 3 years ago. Rock solid. As I remember it, all of the RS232 adaptors I have used had built in driver support in Windows 7, 8 and 10. The issue is usually not the driver for windows ... the issue is getting the LK software running. I never had any problems with that.

2 hours ago, Lars1 said:

As far as I remember, you can also test and simulate the program in the Visual 1 software without connection to the IHC controller. At least you can in Visual 2 and 3.

That is correct.

Keep in mind that if you upgrade the controller then you will need to reprogram it. While the programming paradigm is the same (and looks very much the same), you cannot transfer the program from a Visual 1 controller to a Visual 2 or 3 controller.

Should you decide to upgrade your controller you will get:

• Visual 2
    • Internet access
    • Wireless IHC (pushbuttons, outlets, etc.)
  • Visual 3
    • Everything from Visual 2
    • Ability to use the latest dimmers (which are the absolute best for LEDs)
    • More CPU power in controller
    • Controller is supported by manufacturer
Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites

On 8/22/2022 at 1:45 PM, Lars1 said:

It's been years since I last worked with Visual 1, so my memory might not be 100% correct.

Once you have established connectivity, make a backup of the program in the controller.

While you are waiting for the adapter to arrive, Install the Visual 1 software and load the copy of the program you posted here. Then you can familiarize yourself with the software and program without needing to connect to the controller. As far as I remember, you can also test and simulate the program in the Visual 1 software without connection to the IHC controller. At least you can in Visual 2 and 3.

Thanks Lars. Good idea to play around with the program before I plug in.

Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites

21 hours ago, Astronaut said:

I had a Visual 1 controller until 3 years ago. Rock solid. As I remember it, all of the RS232 adaptors I have used had built in driver support in Windows 7, 8 and 10. The issue is usually not the driver for windows ... the issue is getting the LK software running. I never had any problems with that.

That is correct.

Keep in mind that if you upgrade the controller then you will need to reprogram it. While the programming paradigm is the same (and looks very much the same), you cannot transfer the program from a Visual 1 controller to a Visual 2 or 3 controller.

Should you decide to upgrade your controller you will get:

• Visual 2
    • Internet access
    • Wireless IHC (pushbuttons, outlets, etc.)
  • Visual 3
    • Everything from Visual 2
    • Ability to use the latest dimmers (which are the absolute best for LEDs)
    • More CPU power in controller
    • Controller is supported by manufacturer

Great info. Thanks Astronaut!

Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, Astronaut said:

Ability to use the latest dimmers (which are the absolute best for LEDs)

Hi Astronaut, still making slow progress on all this (but making progress -- have downloaded and been playing around with Visual 1 and my saved project file).

I have a whole bunch of halogen downlights in my house that I would like to switch to LED (probably the mains 240V powered ones). Noting your comment about Visual 3 being the best for dimmable LEDs, is there any issue with replacing all my 12V halogens and their transformers with 240V LEDs? Will the existing dimming function work, or are there issues I need to consider?

Thanks!

Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites

The dimmers installed together with a Visual 1 controller are so old that they have never been tested with LED's, as dimmable LED's didn't exist back then. The best way to figure out whether they will work or not, is to buy one of the dimmable LED's you want and try.

Other than this, there aren't any know issues with switching to LED's.

Link til kommentar
Del på andre sites